Manic Miner version differences
The two Manic Miner game engines are similar, but not quite identical. The
following may help in adapting POKEs:
- Addresses from 8000h-846Dh (32768-33901) are the same;
- Addresses from 846Eh-8C29h (33902-35881) should have 6 added to them;
- Addresses from 8C2Ah-8C72h (35882-35954) should have 13 added to them;
- Addresses from 8C73h-9356h (35955-37718) should have 11 added to them;
- Addresses above 9357h (37719) are the same.
Changes which don't affect addresses include:
- Different sprites in The Warehouse and Amoebatrons' Revenge.
- Different scrolling message on the title screen.
- No source code embedded in the free space.
- The cheat code is now on the W-P key row, not the 0-9 one.
- Cheats are activated using key 9 (key 6 is used by the Sinclair
Reasons for code moves
- There are 6 bytes extra at 846Eh, for the three extra characters in the
cheat string ("TYPEWRITER" as opposed to "6031769")
- The code at 8C2Ah and 8C73h has been rewritten to support the Sinclair
joystick. The Bug-Byte version maps keys as follows:
5=Left, 7=Jump, 8=Right, 0=Jump
whereas the Software Projects version uses:
5=Left, 6=Left, 7=Right, 8=Right, 0=Jump
and the code for these checks is a slightly different size.
Back to JSW tech page